The 6’11 Lithuanian was a standout for Arizona, earning 2nd-team All-American honors while leading the Wildcats in multiple statistical categories, averaging 19.8 points and 9.1 rebounds per game during his junior year.
Regarding Thursday’s NBA draft, Tubelis was considered a late first-round or early second-round pick but ultimately went unselected.
However, given his experience and impact at Arizona, Tubelis’ upside is clear, and acknowledged by the Philadelphia 76ers, who signed him to a two-way contract, with his NBA journey beginning next month in summer league.
His physical attributes are similar to fellow countrymen Domantas Sabonis, and now, Tubelis finds himself in a quality system to develop his skills against top competition, and potentially, impact a contender in the East.
The AGS team believes he is someone to watch out for, and we explored the characteristics of his game, including being the Focal Point at Arizona, and detailed his path from Europe.
Hometown: Vilnius, Lithuania
- Played for Vilniaus Perlas of the Lietuvos krepšinio lyga (LKL)
- Member of Rytas’ U18
- MVP of the Adidas Next Gen Tournament (2020)
Focal Point (UofA)
- 20.3 PTs, 9.3 REBs, and 2.0 ASTs per game, including 13 double-doubles
- Primary contributor for Arizona´s offense – 29.7% Usage Rate, 3rd in MPG
- Active around the rim, with 62.5% of his shot attempts from in the paint
- Highly productive via post-up, 22.4% of his offense
- As a versatile, left-handed 4/5 who can play inside and out, he will be a matchup challenge in the NBA
- Although his game will need further polishing, he already has professional (Vilniaus Perlas) and international experience, competing for the Lithuanian National Team
Comparable Player: Santi Aldama |Nationality: Spain|College: Loyola University MD
- Drafted 30th by the Utah Jazz, traded to the Memphis Grizzlies in 2021
- Also 6´11, 4/5 big, who produced similar numbers in college
- Per game: 21.2 PTs, 10.1 REBs, 2.3 ASTs (Sophomore Season in NCAA)
- Prior European experience before college as well, Barcelona’s U18
- Was a full-time rotation player for Memphis in the 22-23 NBA season
- Per game: 22.4 MP, 9.2 PTs, 4.5 REBs, 1.2 ASTs (61 games)
- Similar to Tubelis, Aldama has quality inside/outside game
- Efficient finisher around the rim, 59.6% from 2s
- Good from 3PT – 1.3 makes per game, shooting 36%