A look at his breakout season in the 2022-23 Elite League Greece
The Point Guard from Orlando, Florida, had an excellent rookie season in Europe for Psychiko in Greece, winning league MVP while leading his team to 1st place after the regular season (21-9).
After 4 years at the University of Buffalo, the 6´0 Guard played for the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA Summer League, and with a quick 1st step and shifty dribbling, he proved to be a nightmare for defenders in the Greek Elite League.
The team at AGS looked at his Rookie campaign in Europe, including key numbers:
- He averaged 19.3 PPG, 4.2 RPG and 3.6 APG in 32.5 Min per Game
- His shiftiness off the dribble allowed him to get in the lane with ease where he finished 55.2% of his 2-pointers, impressive for a Guard
- Taking just under 4 three-pointers per game, he made 1.3 per game, a solid 34.4%
While having to carry much of the offensive burden, Segu did so with tremendous efficiency, finding ways to involve his teammates with the consistent ability to find the open man.
After 1 season, his impact on Psychiko’s success cannot be overstated:
- He accounted for 23.5% of his teams points (19.3 of 82 per game).
- While living in the lane, he was responsible for 29.7% of his teams made 2-pointers
- He scored in double digits in 32 of 33 games while taking care of the basketball – just 2.1 Turnovers per 40 minutes
The 2nd division in Greece is by no means an easy league to dominate the way Segu did.
Given his initial campaign, there are 2 players with similar attributes (and successful European careers) who are close comparables:
Dewayne Russell: The 5´11 Point Guard started his Career in Pro B in France with Nancy before signing in Germany with Crailsheim, averaging 14 PPG and 6.3 APG.
This past season in Germany, with Oldenburg, he finished 1st in scoring (20.6 PPG), recognized as the league’s best offensive player.
TJ Shorts: The 5´9 Point Guard started his Career in Latvia with Ventspils before signing in Germany with Hamburg, averaging 14.3 PPG and 5.3 APG.
This season with Bonn, Shorts won MVP of the BBL and MVP of the BCL, before leading his team to the Champions League title, 1st title in team history.
For Ronaldo Segu, his story is yet to be written, but he has the skillset, balance between scoring and creating and the capability to take over a game to make a real name for himself as he continues his playing career.